What better way to start my Smashbox collection than with some miniature products of their best selling make-up range. I have tried a few sample products from Smashbox and I have to say I was very impressed so this was a great way of sampling some more products. Unfortunately I don’t have a Smashbox counter where I live and usually don’t like to buy products until I’ve tested them using in store testers.
Having said that I came across this set whilst browsing the Boots website and the price tag sucked me in. I thought I can’t really go wrong with miniature products and wouldn’t really be wasting many pennies if I didn’t like them. I’m not much of a lipgloss wearer so I knew that this product wouldn’t get much hype from me but the rest of the products looked fab.
The set included five ‘best selling superstars’ retailing at £19 which is very reasonable for High End make-up and considering the products are sample size they do have a generous amount of product. I found that a little product goes a long way which is always a bonus.
So here goes…
1. Photo Finish Light Foundation Primer this primer has had a huge amount of publicity and has won the Company Beauty Award. I have super oily skin so oil free products are a must for me. This primer made my foundation stay on all day with very little shine, it gave me a matt and flawless look. It is completely clear product and so easy to apply, it doesn’t cake your foundation and you only need a pea size for the entire face.
For those of you who don’t wear foundation but struggle with oily skin this primer is great to wear alone to keep your skin looking matt. This is primer is without doubt amazing, the full size product is quite pricey coming in at £25 but I think it is definitely worth the price tag. This will be going on my wish list!
2. Photo Finish Lid Primer in Warm Beige which creates a canvas for eye products. It comes with a doe foot applicator which I apply on the back of my hand and then apply the product using an eye shadow brush. It applies smoothly and keeps eye shadow on all day. I’ve always used an eyelid primer and have never strayed away from my Urban Decay Primer Potion but I have to say this is on par with my existing eyelid primer. The full size product is also £15 but for the price Smashbox only give you 2.5ml compared to a whooping 11ml from Urban Decay as much as I love the Photo Finish Lid Primer I will be sticking with Urban Decay as I’m all for getting more for my money.
3. Limitless Eye Liner in Onyx is a god send it claims to be ‘long-wearing liner’ which ‘provides bold definition for up to 8 hours’ I have to say I completely agree with these claims. I struggle with eyeliners staying on my waterline for the entire day and often don’t have the time to be continuously looking in a mirror to see if my eyeliner is still there or touch up my make-up so, to know that once I’ve lined my waterline it will stay on for the best part of 8 hours this makes me very happy. I often come home to realise that my eyeliner has completely disappeared but not anymore! The eyeliner is almost creamy and goes on very smoothly; it is also great for applying on the top lid and smudging out to create a smokey eye look. The full size product comes with a built-in sharpener in the cap this is a brilliant feature to have especially when travelling with the product or using it on the go.
4. Full Exposure Mascara comes in Jet Black was the most exciting product for me as I love trying out new mascaras. The miniature size comes with a huge wand which is fab if you like your lashes to look extra long and voluminous. The product claims to provide ‘maximum-impact and scene-stealing lashes’ and I would have to agree that it does make your eyelashes look amazing. The only downside to this mascara is it tends to clump the lashes together, so I have to use a lash separator to get my desired look.
5. Lip Enhancing Gloss in Illume which is a lovely iridescent pale nude colour. As I previously mentioned I’m not a fan of lip glosses but you do like them then this shade is lovely to apply over any lipstick colour. If you choose to wear it alone it won’t make much of a difference to your lip colour but will keep your lips soft and smooth. The doe foot applicator allows you to glide on the gloss with ease.
Overall I am impressed with this kit, it is great value for money it also makes a great gift. The sizes of the products are perfect for travelling with or putting into your handbag. I’m glad I got sucked into buying this set as I’ve been able to try a variety of products and there are a few which I will be putting on my wish list. If you’re hesitant in buying the full size products because you’ve never tried Smashbox products before I would definitely recommend this kit. For £19 you won’t regret it. I would consider repurcha
I already have my eye set on the Try It Kit: BB + Halo which includes miniature products of a BB Cream, Halo Hydrating Powder, Oil Free Photo Finish Primer and a Baby Kabuki Brush. This kit is on the pricey side at £25 but I’m sure it will live up to its expectations.
Have you tried any Smashbox products? Which one Smashbox product would you recommend?